Tuesday, May 15, 2007

everyone's a critic

Last Thursday morning, the homeless fellow, for whom I'm one of many "regulars," pointed out that I needed a haircut. I assured him it was on Friday's to-do list.

This morning, he babbled something that suggested he noticed that I had worn the same shirt two days in a row. I hadn't gotten to the laundry in time last night. Or the night before.

I don't mind constructive criticism. In fact, I think it's priceless. But if he starts knocking my after-shave, I think I'm going to have to draw the line.

***

Speaking of grooming, I would never freely choose to take a cold shower, if there were a hot one nearby. But once in a while the boiler pump calls in sick and so the hot water never quite gets to the 24th floor. Owing to that, I've chosen to take a few cold showers; took one this morning, in fact.

And I realized, on the way to work, that I never feel quite as good as I do when I'm forced to take a cold shower.

There's a huge lesson in that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home